Navigation Bar

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

14 Days of God's Love - Love Your Enemies

The Bible tells us that we are to love our enemies.  “Love my enemies?”, you might say, “but you don’t know what he/she did to me!”  Jesus clearly says in Matthew 5:44 "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"  Yes, it’s difficult to love them and pray for them. Our enemies have hurt us because they lie to us, call us names, gossip about us, steal from us, and endless other things that are not edifying to our soul. Joyce Meyer said "God requires us to love people, even when we don't like them."

     Several years ago, a new girl started coming to a church I attended during my time in Destin, FL  She was not only new to my church, but she was new to the area.   I befriended her and did as much as I could to make her feel welcomed.  We soon became good friends, however, it was not long before she betrayed me.  I was devastated.  In my heart, I knew I was suppose to forgive her,love her ,and pray for her, but it was hard.  I did began to pray for her and had to confess that the love of God be shed abroad in my heart by the Holy Ghost over and over. Every time I thought about her I made this confession until eventually, the hurt went away. Doing this allowed me to reach a place of love, forgiveness, and acceptance rather than remain in anger. I soon found myself walking in love towards her once again.

     It wasn’t long after that that she came to me crying and apologized for hurting me.  She told me that she looked up to me and that I was such an inspiration to her.  She couldn't understand how I could still be nice to her after what she had done. I told her  the love of God is shed abroad in my heart by the Holy Ghost.

 He loves and forgives US, therefore we can love and forgive our enemies.  Pray for those who persecute you. Pray for their lives and their families. Pray for their well-being and their happiness. No, it means nothing to them, but it will to God, and it will to you.  Let go of your hurt and watch God move on your behalf!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...