Navigation Bar

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Countdown to Easter Celebration - Day 11


Jesus fed the 5000, walked on water, and upon arriving on shore, was bombarded by people who just wanted a touch.  All that touched the hem of his garment were healed.  Those that had been fed by the 5 loaves came seeking Jesus.  Knowing he hadn't boarded the boat with the disciples, they are in wonderment when they find him on the other side of the sea.  Maybe they came expecting another meal, maybe they came ready to see Jesus lead a revolt and be crowned as king. 

Jesus begins his famous sermon on the Bread of Life. 
 Jesus says:  I did not come to fill your belly.  I came to be the bread of life. Do not seek the food that spoils, but the food that gives everlasting life. 
 The crowd asks:  What must we do?  What are our works?
Jesus replies:   The works of God are simple:  Believe in the One God sent. 
The crowd asks:  What will be your sign?  What miracle will you perform?  Our ancestors ate manna from heaven as their sign....
Jesus answers:  Moses did not give that manna, but my Father in Heaven did.  The bread of God is He who comes down and gives life.   
The crowd demands:  Give us this bread always!!
Jesus gives these words to the crowd, and to us
                 I have come to give life.  He who comes to me will never thirst, never hunger.  You have seen me, yet do not believe.  I have all that my Father gives me, and I will not cast out anyone who comes to me.  I came from heaven to do the will of my Father, not my own.  His will is that I lose none he gives me.  My Father's desire is that all who believe in the Son shall have everlasting life and will be raised on the last day. 
                  I am the bread of life.  The bread I shall give is my flesh. 

From this sermon, many of his disciples no longer followed Jesus.  Many no longer walked with Jesus. Why remain if this is not the man to make everything here on Earth right?   He's not going to overthrow the rulers and feed us daily, why keep following?  

Jesus asks the 12 if they too will walk away.  Simon Peter
rises and speaks. He says "Where else will we go?  You have the words of eternal life.We have come to believe that your are the Christ, the Son of the living God"
Why did the disciples stay?  They were worldly, expecting a new kingdom here on earth.  They'd seen the miracle of the 5000 just as the crowd that had now turned their backs.  Why did the 12 stay?  If you read the story of Jesus walking on the water, the 12 were the only ones there in the boat, in the middle of the sea.  They had a turning point there in that boat.  Maybe they recognized they were the kingdom to come.  They were the change they desired in the world.  Remember their turn of hearts when all was calm that night, they went from questioning to worshipping Jesus. 


Near the end of Jesus' Bread of Life sermon, he tells the crowd that he will give of himself, that he would give up his flesh for the world.  He would die.   

Today:  Have some bread.  Bake some bread.  Think of that bread as the flesh Jesus gave us to give us eternal life.
Photo source:  allrecipes.com

Lord In Heaven, I thank you that you drew me near, that you gave me to Jesus. God, thank you that all you ask of me is to believe in your Son in order to have eternal life.  Jesus I thank you that you are my guide, my protector, food for my soul.  I thank you that you gave yourself for me.  Help me remember the bread you give Jesus, and because of that bread I must serve you by serving others.  AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...